Monday, March 28, 2011

Hesketh Hubbard Setting Up

My post about the The Royal Horticultural Society Botanical Art Show reminded me that I hadn't posted another sketch done from above looking down at a group of people engaged on an activity.

Hesketh Hubbard - Setting Up
16.5 x 11", pen and sepia ink and coloured pencils
copyrigh Katherine Tyrrell

This sketch was done after going to see an exhibition at the Mall Galleries.  I was late and the people arriving for the meeting of the Hesketh Hubbard Art Society were beginning to set up.

The idea of drawing people who were about spend an evening drawing people appealed!  So I stood on the mezzanine entrance level, got my large Moleskine out and started to draw all the people beginning to arrange themselves and their chairs and easels.

The Hesketh Hubbard Art Society has about 150 members and prides itself on being the largest life drawing society in London. Founded in 1930, it has been meeting regularly ever since.
The Hesketh Hubbard Art Society offers both amateur and professional artists the opportunity to work from live models in untutored sessions.  The Society meets at the Mall Galleries once a week, either Mondays or Fridays, and members may choose to work from four models: three ‘life’ providing 15 minute poses, 30 minute poses or a ‘long’ 2 hour pose and one clothed portrait.

Membership is £200 a year, for which there are 48 drawing sessions and no cover charge.

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea, Katherine...You really have caught the feeling of these artists planning their working area. I love the lady looking toward the wall and the one seated on the right with her hand on her chin--I can feel them THINKING...
    annie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you used the ink line to hold the drawing together. My fav.!

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE NOTE:
I always check identities and ALL links in comments for spam.

Due to excessive attempts to introduce spam via comments on this blog, I've introduced a regime where all comments with links in the ID or text to the websites of hotels/resorts/tourist destinations will NOT be approved and are deleted. The websites of repeat spammers are also reported to Google.

Nice, sensible people who are not new to blogging probably don't need to read my Comments Policy