Thursday, October 01, 2009

1st October - Visiting Giverny

Couleurs de Septembre
16.5" x 14.5", Pastel on Rembrandt pastel board (NFS)

copyright Katherine Tyrrell

Today we're picking up a car from the Gare du Nord and driving to Giverny.

The aim is to visit the Foundation Claud Monet which is where you can see Monet's house, his enormous water lily studio, the Clos Normand (the flower garden) and the water garden, the Japanese Bridge and the Japanese Prints. I first saw the house and garden after a morning spent in the Musée de l’Orangerie viewing the huge panels of waterlilies which were of course based on paintings of his water garden - and it's in certainly in my top tend of best days ever!

There are some posts I've written over on Making A Mark are relevant - see
Giverny is also the place where Monet painted his series paintings of stacks of wheat which I wrote about in October last year on Making a Mark.

Fortunately I constructed a list of links about Giverny and visiting Giverny two years ago when I was doing my Gardens in Art project on Making A Mark..
Links to information about Giverny include:
Making A Mark (04.09.07) - Gardens in Art continues - with Monet
Giverny - a great garden is the site I created as home to information about the garden.

I'm hoping we will also get to visit the The Musée d'Art Américain in Giverny. It's open from April 1st to October 31, 2008 every day except Monday, from 10:00 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Then on to Rouen and the cathedral there which Monet painted several times (see a photo of some of these paintings in the Musee D'Orsay in Monday's post). Read about the paintings in the post I did on Making A Mark - Monet's series paintings - Rouen cathedral

Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE:
I always check identities and ALL links in comments for spam.

Due to excessive attempts to introduce spam via comments on this blog, I've introduced a regime where all comments with links in the ID or text to the websites of hotels/resorts/tourist destinations will NOT be approved and are deleted. The websites of repeat spammers are also reported to Google.

Nice, sensible people who are not new to blogging probably don't need to read my Comments Policy