Wednesday, January 27, 2016

London Urban Sketchers at Canary Wharf - 16 January 2016

On Saturday I led the London Urban Sketchers Group's visit to Canary Wharf (see UPDATE: re Let's Draw Canary Wharf 16 January 2016

These are my sketches. I first took people to see the amazing sky garden at Crossrail Place where the vegetation has really bedded down since it opened last May.

This was my first sketch of the day

My first sketch was of Poplar DLR Station - from a distance


Sketched through one of the holes in the roof of Crossrail Place

I then turned my attention to the sky garden

I drew in pen and ink on the spot
- and added some colour when I got back home
Dicksonia Antartica at Crossrail Place in Canary Wharf

 - it was just above freezing on the day and I was greatly amused by the name of the tree ferns!
We shared our sketches at lunchtime in Jubilee Place - the warmth was much appreciated


London Urban Sketchers - lunchtime at Jubilee Place undergound shopping mall

This is when I discovered there was a sketch of me sketching my first sketch!


I'm the sketcher on the right who's looking through the 'window' in this sketch by Christine Kaltoft
 
Then in the afternoon I went off to sketch what I had christened as 'the big dig in the dock'

You can see my sketchbook in the foreground of this photo of our subject
This is the reconstruction of Wood Wharf.
This view of the O2 and the three cranes from the old West India Dock
will disappear forever when new tower blocks are built

and this is my sketch

'The Big Dig in the Dock' with the O2 in the background
West India Docks at Canary Wharf 16 January 2016

and then we all went off to warm up before travelling home!  There were about 50-60 people all told on the day. These are the some of those still chatting and sharing sketchbook stories at nearly 5pm! Some of you will recognise me!

London Urban Sketchers warm up at the end of a very cold day's sketching at Canary Wharf.




5 comments:

  1. A very enjoyable day sketching and meeting a wide range of sketchers from many different backgrounds. Thank you for the groundwork and information on sketch locations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And a welcome that day to a couple who joined us from Spain...hope you enjoyed it despite the chill !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - what a great gathering. I have not heard of this space and will have to put it on my list of places to visit in London

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Katherine, great blog. I really enjoyed the sketch crawls I have taken part in with you. A delightful and inspiring organiser!

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE NOTE:
I always check identities and ALL links in comments for spam.

Due to excessive attempts to introduce spam via comments on this blog, I've introduced a regime where all comments with links in the ID or text to the websites of hotels/resorts/tourist destinations will NOT be approved and are deleted. The websites of repeat spammers are also reported to Google.

Nice, sensible people who are not new to blogging probably don't need to read my Comments Policy