Saturday, July 10, 2010

Lunch at the Academy Restaurant at the RA

After the Press View for Sargent and the Sea, which opens today at the Royal Academy of Arts (see my review Sargent and the Beach on Making A Mark), I went for lunch in the Academy Restaurant on the ground floor of the RA.

 Lunch in the Academy Restaurant at the RA
pen and sepia ink and coloured pencils, 8.5" x 11.5"
copyright Katherine Tyrrell

Of course I drew the inevitable sketch of people talking over a meal to add to my collection of similar sketches - see:
The Academy Restaurant has some rather wonderful murals and some recent restoration work now illuminates them much better than I've ever seen them before
Academy restaurant
Designed by Norman Shaw in 1885 and recently renovated by London-based architects MUMA. The Academy Restaurant is an ideal setting for art lovers to relax and enjoy a delicious buffet menu amid celebrated murals by Fred Appleyard, Harold Speed, Gilbert Spencer and Leonard Rosoman. The Murals have been illuminated for the first time, fulfilling the original intentions of the artists.
Royal Academy of Arts - Restaurant and Café
I've uploaded some photos of the murals to Flickr and you can see a slideshow of the Academy Restaurant Murals here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE:
I always check identities and ALL links in comments for spam.

Due to excessive attempts to introduce spam via comments on this blog, I've introduced a regime where all comments with links in the ID or text to the websites of hotels/resorts/tourist destinations will NOT be approved and are deleted. The websites of repeat spammers are also reported to Google.

Nice, sensible people who are not new to blogging probably don't need to read my Comments Policy